Wednesday, June 12, 2013

toxic release

there comes a day and time when it hits you
you finally realize that the relationship you've been in is toxic
it didn't truly bring you the joy you thought it did
he didn't enhance your life like you did his
you realize that he took advantage of your caring heart
your willingness to open your soul to him
and your ability to truly make him the happiest man

you realize that no matter how hard you tried
you can't fix someone as broken and mentally off as he
you realize that it isn't you or your love that wasn't enough
it was he, that didn't understand how much you loved him
it was he, that didn't want to open his heart and soul to you
it was he, that continued to take his past from others out on you
and it was he, that threw in the towel and made the choice to walk

when this day comes, it sets your soul free
a huge weight lifts from your shoulders
you feel like you can begin to breathe again
you can live again, a true and happy life
when you finally accept that you deserve so much more
it is as if toxic waste once consumed your soul
and its release is like something you've never experienced before

i've recently had this experience
i've realized that what i thought might be love
was truly a distorted and toxic take on a relationship
i've realized that no one deserves to be treated this way
no one deserves to be treated with such wreckless abandon
i've been reminded that i should never date down
and i've looked within to find the self confidence that i've lacked

this lack of self confidence is what lead me to such a toxic man
someone whom i should have never allowed in my life at all
let alone a second time, for a second chance
never again!  today's a new day with so much joy ahead

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Colleen!!! I re-read this one often as sometimes I just need that reminder. It helps. I think I can actually say that I'm completely over him. Also, he finally sent me the money I loaned him and I ran straight to his bank and cashed it so it couldn't bounce like the last one. The nightmare is finally over and I finally have the chapter that was him in my life, closed for good. He never deserved me in the first place and I will never allow such an undeserving person in my life again. Life is too short and I'd rather be alone and happy than with him and miserable.

    ReplyDelete