Thursday, January 27, 2011

Becoming the Story of Success

I have been reading success stories on www.weightwatchers.com and they truly are inspiring.  I, at one time, was that success story.  This time around, I am going to make sure, I remain the success story.  When I look at the "big picture" it appears to be an overwhelming one.  However, it feels totally obtainable this time around, because I have done it before.

My first time around, I took baby goals and baby steps because I knew if I looked at the bigger picture of just what I needed to accomplish, I would get overwhelmed and quit.  This time around, I am not focused so much on the smaller goals but the large one.  My first big goal is to get that Tiffany's bracelet from my mother no later than December 31, 2011.  I have averaged it out... 2 pounds a week.  That is considered to be within "a healthy range". And about two months before then, I have my friend Heather's wedding to participate in.  I really want not only to look better but feel better about the way I look come picture time.

While I can see the bigger picture, I do need to take baby steps to get there.  Today I had a non-scale victory.  I was to go to lunch with some co-workers.  I typically am fine with food when I have or bring my own.  I portion it out, count the points, track the points, become full... and wah-lah... success.  However, restaurants are always a trigger for me because I am put near temptation.  While dining at a restaurant may seem normal to some, for me it is like a recovering alcoholic walking into a bar.  Simply put, it is a struggle.

My co-worker wanted to go to Chili's.  I love the chicken ranch sandwich at Chili's.  I mean, let's face it, I didn't get this big eating just a side salad at Chili's.  So, when I found out we were going there, the sound of angels sung and I was ready for my deep fried chicken sandwich slathered with all the ranch my little heart could desire... and freedom fries of course.  (I think we are still supposed to call them freedom fries... LOL)  So, I went to the Chili's website for the nutrition information, found out the points, and realized that in that one meal was about as many points as i am supposed to consume in a whole day.  And while I do have my extra weekly points that I can dip in to if I do need to splurge, I decided that I really should look at some other options.  So, I calculated the points, figured out exactly what sounded good and what was worth it's point value and left for the restaurant. When I arrived, I didn't bother looking at the menu as I knew I would just be tempting myself.  I simply ordered what I had already calculated and called it a day.  My choice was chicken fajitas with the tortillas but no cheese, guac., or sour cream... extra pico since it's free!  I also ordered a side of black beans because I knew the extra protein would fill me up even more.

I was very excited that I had made such a choice.  It was like I finally got it.  It clicked.  I feel like I am finally mentally with the program that I have struggled so long to get back into.  While I am only concluding week 3, I feel better about the program and my success than I have in years.

Side Note: The service was so awful.  It took an hour and a half to get my food which they brought over completely burnt.  At that point, we couldn't afford to waste any more time with them remaking my meal so I only ended up eating the black beans.  But it was enough to hold me over until my afternoon snack.  And most of all, I didn't feel like I was missing out on a thing.  I didn't feel like I was forced to eat only green things.  I was content and left not even thinking about or feeling like I missed out on the chicken ranch sandwich.

Here's to another day on the journey of slowly becoming the success story I dream to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment