Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Life is a Struggle

A while ago, a friend of mine posted a blog that ended with this quote:  

"Life is a struggle.  The struggle is never going to go away, it's just how you manage it and how you deal with it." ~Bob (Biggest Loser trainer)

The quote truly spoke to me in a way that I find hard to even express with words.  It couldn't be more suited to me on this journey.  My life has been filled with struggles and blessings.  However, we often find ourselves focused on the struggles as those are harder to deal with.  

The struggles in life will never go away, but you have the choice on how to deal with the struggles you are faced with.  I dealt with the assault struggles in several was.  Lots of therapy, medication, food, etc!  I now realized I was using the food as a coping mechanism and shield.  It has been a buffer.  I have misused it.  Bob's statement is so true... the struggle is never going to go away.  It will always be a part of who I am.  Some days will be, and are, better than others.  Some days I will have, and have had, nightmares where I relive that horrific night.  Other people's actions, while harmless in nature to them, will trigger things that remind me of that night.  But regardless, I am finally taking back my life and making the conscious decision to manage and deal with these struggles differently going forward.  I have learned that ignoring that the struggles exist is not the way to deal with them.  I have learned that eating away my struggles, as comforting and delicious as it may be, is not the way to deal with them.  I am currently working on ways on how to deal with life's struggles...

Do I know all the answers on how to cope with the struggles on this journey that I am on?  Absolutely not!  But will I at least think of these words, food is not my solution, and attempt to make better decisions going forward?  Absolutely!


-down 18.6

No comments:

Post a Comment