Friday, March 4, 2011

This Precious Life

Most of my blog entries are selfish in nature and focus on me and my journey through life.  It is a very therapeutic escape for me as I started this skill during the therapy sessions that immediately followed the assault.  I find that even if my gibberish does not affect anyone else, it is at least a great release for me.  I know this sounds selfish but it is probably the one thing that I find truly helps me and the one place where I really put me first.  


This afternoon I was taking a short break from work and catching up on the latest news on cnn.com as I typically do to see what events that I may have missed.  I came across a story that hit far too close to home (link included below).  It was about a teenager who died suddenly immediately following his layup that won the game for his basketball team.  The story hit so close to home because I lost a dear friend when I was 13.  Many of those who are close to me know the story at length and know that I have felt remorse for many years because she lost her life too soon.  She had called me the night before she died and I cut the call really short as I had homework to do.  For many years, I held on to so much remorse for cutting the call so short as it was the last time I would ever speak with her.


This article reminded me not only of my own personally tragedy but it reminded me once again that we are not promised tomorrow.  No one is guaranteed a next breath.  Our life can be cut short at any time for any reason.  So I take this moment to remind you, my friends and family, to try not to leave things unresolved.  Try to remember that this precious life that we often take for granted can be removed from us without warning.  Live this life the best way you know how and try to cherish every last breath because you never know when this life will end.  


This topic does come full circle with regards to my new journey and weight loss.  I know that if I don't lose this weight, I will die.  Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow, but way sooner than I want.  So once again, I will eat my 9 point lunch and snack on my 0 point fruits and veggies knowing that I am doing what I need to do to live my best life and to not be another statistic of obesity taking a life too soon.


To my friends and family: once again, I love you more than you know.  I cherish everything that each one of you brings to my life.  Thank you for accepting me unconditionally, flaws and all!  Thank you for picking me up when I am down.  Thank you for making me laugh when I cant see the light.  Thank you (Colleen) for knowing when something is wrong even when I have said nothing and doing what ever it takes to put a smile on my face.  I would not be the woman I am today without all of your love and support!  xoxo -m  


http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/04/michigan.basketball.death/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

No comments:

Post a Comment